Re: F21 pkgs for Ceph Hammer release ?

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 2:46 AM, Deepak Shetty <dpkshetty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:59 AM, Deepak Shetty <dpkshetty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >  Does anybody how/where I can get the F21 repo for ceph hammer release ?
>> >
>> > In download.ceph.com/rpm-hammer/ I only see F20 dir, not F21
>>
>> Right, we haven't built FC binaries for a while, the one node we had
>> for FC was a FC20 box that was unable
>> to build newer (at that time) releases of Ceph so it was dropped.
>>
>> At some point we might be able to start releasing FC22 binaries but
>> those will not be immediately available to
>> hammer until we get a new release.
>>

> So upgraded to F22 , that does get me Hammer, but not Infernalis
>
> In openstack/devstack env I want to use latest ceph release as the storage
> backend for all openstack services, since I am a Fedora user, its been
> really difficult to get the right repos. I don't think its safe and correct
> use F20 binaries on F22 or some other combination
>
> what would it take to get Ceph RPM packages built for F21, 22 and
> continue to do so in future ?

For our build system it wouldn't be terribly hard, but it would take a
bit of work adding more boxes
and supporting the new repos and binaries. We haven't had a time to
add those yet, but once we have
some breathing room I think this is feasible and easier than before.

We recently added Debian Jessie support and it took a bit of effort, I
imagine adding FC builds would be similar.

In the meantime, maybe you can build those manually? When we start
building for new supported platforms that builds
are not retroactive so you would only get binaries for new releases too.

Alternatively you could switch to a different RPM platform like CentOS
or RHEL which have always been supported.