building ceph rpms, "ceph --version" returns no version

Hi All,

Long story short:

I have built ceph hammer RPMs, everything seems to work OK but running “ceph --version” does not report the version number. I don’t get a version number returned from “service ceph status”, either. I’m concerned that other components in our system my rely on ceph --version returning a value, so I would like to fix this. Can anyone help, please?

The back story:

We need ceph hammer binaries that contain the most recent contributions from sponce (https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/6322) as we are using libradosstriper1 with ceph. As these changes were merged into the hammer branch after the latest hammer release, we have had to build our own RPMs.

To do this, I did a git clone of the hammer branch shortly after this pull request was merged. I then tarballed the directory with the “--exclude-vcs” option, modified the supplied .spec file by changeing the value of “Version:” from “@VERSION@” to “0.94.5” and the value of “Release” from “@RPM_RELEASE@%{?dist}” to “1%{?dist}” and built the RPMs. I have since noticed the problem with ceph --version.

The answer looks to be found somewhere in one of these files, but I’m coming at this as a system administrator, not a programmer, so it is all rather confusing:

ceph-0.94.5/src/common/version.h

ceph-0.94.5/src/common/version.cc

ceph-0.94.5/CMakeLists.txt

ceph-0.94.5/src/ceph_ver.c