Re: CephFS: number of PGs for metadata pool

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Mykola Dvornik <mykola.dvornik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I see your point about replicas. However my motivation
> was a bit different.
>
> Consider some given amount of objects that are stored in the metadata pool.
> If I understood correctly ceph data placement approach, the number of
> objects per PG should decrease with the amount of PGs per pool.
>
> So my concern is that in catastrophic event of some PG(s) being lost I will
> loose more objects if the amount of PGs per pool is small. At the same time
> I don't want to have too few objects per PG to keep things disk IO, but not
> CPU bounded.

If you are especially concerned about triple-failures (i.e. permanent
PG loss), I would suggest you look at doing things like a size=4 pool
for your metadata (maybe on SSDs).

You could also look at simply segregating your size=3 metadata on to
separate spinning drives, so that these comparatively less loaded OSDs
will be able to undergo recovery faster in the event of a failure than
an ordinary data drive that's full of terabytes of data, and have a
lower probability of a triple failure.

John