Re: Ceph Sizing

Thanks you all,

So using cache is a solution for decreasing latenc.
Ceph has build-in cache tiering, With my Ceph System that serves approximately 100 VM simultaneously, up to maximum 700VM, included SQL VM, which is most efficient cache solution for me?

Thanks and regards.

I would be a lot more conservative in terms of what a spinning drive can
do. The Mirantis presentation has pretty high expectations out of a
spinning drive, as they¹re ignoring somewhat latency (til the last few
slides). Look at the max latencies for anything above 1 QD on a spinning
drive.

If you factor in a latency requirement, the capability of the drives fall
dramatically. You might be able to offset this by using NVMe or something
as a cache layer between the journal and the OSD, using bcache, LVM cache,
etc. In much of the performance testing that we¹ve done, the average isn¹t
too bad, but 90th percentile numbers tend to be quite bad. Part of it is
probably from locking PGs during a flush, and the other part is just the
nature of spinning drives.

I¹d try to get a handle on expected workloads before picking the gear, but
if you have to pick before that, SSD if you have the budget :) You can
offset it a little by using erasure coding for the RGW portion, or using
spinning drives for that.

I think picking gear for Ceph is tougher than running an actual cluster :)
Best of luck. I think you¹re still starting with better, and more info
than some of us did years ago.

Warren Wang