Re: [Ceph-maintainers] ceph packages link is gone

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Dan Mick <dmick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This was sent to the ceph-maintainers list; answering here:
>
> On 11/25/2015 02:54 AM, Alaâ Chatti wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I used to install qemu-ceph on centos 6 machine from
>> http://ceph.com/packages/, but the link has been removed, and there is
>> no alternative in the documentation. Would you please update the link so
>> I can install the version of qemu that supports rbd.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> Packages can be found on http://download.ceph.com/

When we re-arranged the download structure for packages and moved
everything from ceph.com to download.ceph.com, we did not carry
ceph-extras over.

The reason is that the packages there were unmaintained. The EL6 QEMU
binaries were vulnerable to VENOM (CVE-2015-3456) and maybe other
CVEs, and no users should rely on them any more.

We've removed all references to ceph-extras from our test framework
upstream (eg https://github.com/ceph/ceph-cm-ansible/pull/137) and I
recommend that everyone else do the same.

If you need QEMU with RBD support on CentOS, I recommend that you
upgrade from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.1+. Red Hat's QEMU package in RHEL
7.1 is built with librbd support.