Re: Cache Tiering Investigation and Potential Patch

Hi Sage

Right ok, let's see if this gets through.

> > I will try and get a PR sorted, I realise that this change modifies
> > the way the cache was originally designed but I think it provides a
> > quick win for the performance increase involved. If there are plans
> > for a better solution in time for the next release, then I would be
> > really interested in working to that goal instead.
>
> It's how it was intended/documented to work, so I think this falls in the 'bug
> fix' category.  I did a quick PR here:
>
> 	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/6702
>
> Does that look right?

Yes  I think that should definitely be an improvement. I can't quite get my head around how it will perform in instances where you miss 1 hitset but all others are a hit. Like this:

H H H M H H H H H H H H

And recency is set to 8 for example. It maybe that it doesn't have much effect on the overall performance. It might be that there is a strong separation of really hot blocks and hot blocks, but this could turn out to be a good thing.

Would it be useful for me to run all 3 versions (Old, this and mine) through the same performance test I did before?

Also I saw pull request 6623, is it still relevant to get the list order right?

Thanks for your support on this.
Nick