Re: Storing Metadata

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 1:50 PM, James Gallagher
<james.np.gallagher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently following the Ceph QSGs and have currently finished the
> Storage Cluster Quick Start and have the current topology of
>
> admin-node - node1 (mon, mds)
>                   - node2 (osd0)
>                   - node3 (osd1)
>
> I am now looking to continue creating a block device and then implementing
> CephFS. Howevers, I was wondering whether I should add a new machine to the
> topology, a 'client-machine', or whether this should double up with node1
> (the monitor and metadata server) because it doesn't say mention in the
> guide?
>
> In essence, do I require CephFS or to set-up Ceph Block Device client in
> order to manage and store metadata?

I don't quite understand. Are you looking to use the CephFS
distributed filesystem? If so, you should mount clients wherever you
plan to use them. RBD is separate, and should also be mounted wherever
you plan to use it. In either case, you've already set up all the
servers you need for storing everything.
-Greg