FW: RGW performance issue

Hello,

We are building a cluster for archive storage. We plan to use an Object Storage (RGW) only, no Block Devices and File System. We doesn’t require high speed, so we are using old weak servers (4 cores, 3 GB RAM) with new huge but slow HDDs (8TB, 5900rpm). We have 3 storage nodes with 24 OSDs totally now and 3 RGW nodes based on a default Civetweb engine.

We have got about 50 MB/sec “raw” write speed with librados-level benches (measured by rados bench, rados put), and it’s quite enough for us. However, RGW performance is dramatically low: no more than 5 MB/sec for file uploading via s3cmd and swift client. It’s too slow for ours tasks and it’s abnormally slow compared with librados write speed, imho.

Write speed is a most important for us now, our the first goal is to download about 50 TB of archive data from a public cloud to our promise storage. We need no less than 20 MB/sec of write speed.

Can anybody help my with RGW performance? Who use RGW, what performance penalty does it give? And where to find the cause of the problem? I have checked all performance counters what I know and I haven’t found any critical values.

Thanks.