Re: Choosing hp sata or sas SSDs for journals

On 11/04/2015 08:33 AM, Karsten Heymann wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 12:03:51 +0100 Karsten Heymann wrote:
I'm currently planning to use dl380 with 26 (24 at the front, two for
system disks at the back) 2,5"-slots, from which roughly 2/3 are
intended for osd drives, the rest for system and journal disks.

That's a pretty dense configuration, how many nodes do you plan to deploy
initially?

Somewhere between 5 and 10 nodes initially.

What network infrastructure?

At least 2x 10GB/s Ethernet, probably 4x (2x client-facing, 2x intra-cluster).

Check the archives for previous threads, I would allocate about 2 GHz of
CPU per OSD...

That fits with the cpus I chose.

So 18 spinning drives, 6 SSD (model #1) and two system disks seem to
be at least a reasonable choice for a setup to start with?

Yes.
Note that in my example below the system disks are a RAID10 of the 4 SSDs,
with raw partitions for the journals.

Interesting setup.

200GB are the smallest enterprise drives HP sells for current server
generations.

Yeah, but when you look at the Intel DC S37xx drives for example, the
older (more parallel) SSDs are actually faster at smaller size then the
new ones.

I think I have to stick to what HP offers.

FWIW, it looks like HP rebrands Intel's DC S3700 drives.

Possible part numbers (check with HP first to be sure!):

HP 691842-001 - 100GB
HP 691842-002 - 200GB
HP 691842-003 - 400GB

Mark