Re: Changing CRUSH map ids

On 02-11-15 12:30, Loris Cuoghi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We're currently on version 0.94.5 with three monitors and 75 OSDs.
>
> I've peeked at the decompiled CRUSH map, and I see that all ids are
> commented with '# Here be dragons!', or more literally : '# do not
> change unnecessarily'.
>
> Now, what would happen if an incautious user would happen to put his
> chubby fingers on this ids, totally disregarding the warning at the
> entrance of the cave, and change one of them?
>
> Data shuffle? (Relative to the allocation of PGs for the OSD/host/other
> item?)
>
> A *big* data shuffle? (ALL data would need to have its position
> recalculated, with immediate end-of-the-world data shuffle?)
>
> Nothing at all? (And the big fat warning is there only to take fun on
> the uninstructed ones? Not plausible...)

Give it a try! Download the CRUSHMap and run tests on it with crushtool:

$ crushtool -i mycrushmap --test --rule 0 --num-rep 3 --show-statistics

Now, change the map, compile it and run again:

$ crushtool -i mycrushmap.new --test --rule 0 --num-rep 3 --show-statistics

Check the differences and you get the idea of how much has changed.

Wido