Re: why was osd pool default size changed from 2 to 3.

TL;DR - Running two copies in my cluster cost me a weekend, and many more hours of productive time during normal working hours. Networking problems can be just as destructive as disk problems. I only run 2 copies on throwaway data.

So, I have personal experience in data loss when running only two copies. I had a networking problem in my ceph cluster, and it took me a long time to track it down because it was an intermittent thing that caused the node with the faulty connection to not only get marked out by it's peers, but also caused it to incorrectly mark out other nodes. It was a mess, that I made worse by trying to force recovery before I really knew what the problem was since it was so elusive.

In the end, the cluster tried to do recovery on PGs that had gotten degraded, but because there were only two copies it had no way to tell which one was correct, and when I forced it to choose it often chose wrong. All of the data was VM images, so in the end, I ended up having small bits of random corruption across almost all my VMs. It took me about 40 hours of work over a weekend to get things recovered (onto spare desktop machines since I still hadn't found the problem and didn't trust the cluster) and rebuilt to make sure that people could work on monday, and I was cleaning up little bits of leftover mess for weeks. Once I finally found and repaired the problem, it was another several days worth of work to get the cluster rebuilt and the VMs migrated back onto it. Never will I run only two copies on things I actually care about ever again, regardless of the quality of the underlying disk hardware. In my case, the disks were fine all along.

QH