Re: Proper Ceph network configuration

Yes, that's correct.

We use the public/cluster networks exclusively, so in the configuration we specify the MON addresses on the public network, and define both the public/cluster network subnet.  I've not tested, but wonder if it's possible to have the MON addresses on a 1GbE network, then define public/cluster networks in the config and things still operate?

From: "Jon Heese" <jheese@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Bill Campbell" <bcampbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 10:03:46 AM
Subject: RE: Proper Ceph network configuration

Bill,

Thanks for the explanation – that helps a lot.  In that case, I actually want the 10.174.1.0/24 network to be both my cluster and my public network, because I want all “heavy” data traffic to be on that network.  And by “heavy”, I mean large volumes of data, both normal Ceph client traffic and OSD-to-OSD communication.  Contrast this with the more “control plane” connections between the MONs and the OSDs, which we intend to go over the lighter-weight management network.

The documentation seems to indicate that the MONs also communicate on the “public” network, but our MONs aren’t currently on that network (we were treating it as an OSD/Client network).  I guess I need to put them on that network…?

Thanks.

Jon Heese
Systems Engineer
INetU Managed Hosting
P: 610.266.7441 x 261
F: 610.266.7434
www.inetu.net

** This message contains confidential information, which also may be privileged, and is intended only for the person(s) addressed above. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying or disclosure of confidential and/or privileged information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify the sender immediately via reply e-mail. **