Re: hanging nfsd requests on an RBD to NFS gateway

On 10/22/2015 04:03 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> On 10/22/2015 10:57 PM, John-Paul Robinson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced a problem with RBD-to-NFS gateways blocking
>> nfsd server requests when their ceph cluster has a placement group that
>> is not servicing I/O for some reason, eg. too few replicas or an osd
>> with slow request warnings?
>>
>> We have an RBD-NFS gateway that stops responding to NFS clients
>> (interaction with RBD-backed NFS shares hang on the NFS client),
>> whenever our ceph cluster has some part of it in an I/O block
>> condition.   This issue only affects the ability of the nfsd processes
>> to serve requests to the client.  I can look at and access underlying
>> mounted RBD containers without issue, although they appear hung from the
>> NFS client side.   The gateway node load numbers spike to a number that
>> reflects the number of nfsd processes, but the system is otherwise
>> untaxed (unlike the case in a normal high os load, ie. i can type and
>> run commands with normal responsiveness.)
>>
> Well, that is normal I think. Certain objects become unresponsive if a
> PG is not serving I/O.
>
> With a simple 'ls' or 'df -h' you might not be touching those objects,
> so for you it seems like everything is functioning.
>
> The nfsd process however might be hung due to a blocking I/O call. That
> is completely normal and to be excpected.

I agree that an nfsd process blocking on a blocked backend I/O request
is expected an normal.

> That it hangs the complete NFS server might be just a side-effect on how
> nfsd was written.

Hanging all nfsd processes is the part I find unexpected.  I'm just
wondering is someone has experience with this or if this is a known nfsd
issue.

> It might be that Ganesha works better for you:
> http://blog.widodh.nl/2014/12/nfs-ganesha-with-libcephfs-on-ubuntu-14-04/

Thanks genesha looks very interesting!