Re: Increasing pg and pgs

Thanks Michael for the clarification. I should set the pg and pgp_num to all the pools . Am i right? . I am asking beacuse setting the pg to just only one pool already set the status to HEALTH OK.

-Paras.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Michael Hackett <mhackett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Paras,

This is a limit that was added pre-firefly to prevent users from knocking IO off clusters for several seconds when PG's are being split in existing pools. This limit is not called into effect when creating new pools though.

If you try and limit the number to

# ceph osd pool set rbd pg_num 1280

This should go fine as this will be at the 32 PG per OSD limit in the existing pool.

This limit is set when expanding PG's on an existing pool because splits are a little more expensive for the OSD, and have to happen synchronously instead of asynchronously.

I believe Greg covered this in a previous email thread:
http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2014-July/041399.html

Thanks,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paras pradhan" <pradhanparas@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:31:57 PM
Subject: Increasing pg and pgs

Hi,

When I check ceph health I see "HEALTH_WARN too few pgs per osd (11 < min 20)"

I have 40osds and tried to increase the pg to 2000 with the following command. It says creating 1936 but not sure if it is working or not. Is there a way to check the progress? It has passed more than 48hrs and I still see the health warning.

--

root@node-30:~# ceph osd pool set rbd pg_num 2000

Error E2BIG: specified pg_num 2000 is too large (creating 1936 new PGs on ~40 OSDs exceeds per-OSD max of 32)

--

Thanks in advance

Paras.

Michael Hackett
Software Maintenance Engineer CEPH Storage
Phone: 1-978-399-2196
Westford, MA