Re: Ceph journal - isn't it a bit redundant sometimes?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Haomai Wang <haomaiwang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The fact is that journal could help a lot for rbd use cases,
> especially for small ios. I don' t think it will be bottleneck. If we
> just want to reduce double write, it doesn't solve any performance
> problem.

One trick I've been using in my ceph clusters is hiding a slow write
backend behind a fast journal device. The write performance will be of
the fast (and small) journal device. This only helps on write, but it
can make a huge difference.

I've even made some tests showing (within 10%, RBD and S3) that the
backend device doesn't matter and the write performance is exactly the
same as that of the journal device fronting all the writes.