From: Haomai Wang [mailto:haomaiwang@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 11:35 PM
To: Somnath Roy
Cc: Mark Nelson; ceph-devel; ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Initial performance cluster SimpleMessenger vs AsyncMessenger results

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Somnath Roy <Somnath.Roy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for this data. This means probably simple messenger (not OSD
> core) is not doing optimal job of handling memory.
>

> Haomai,
>
> I am not that familiar with Async messenger code base, do you have an
> explanation of the behavior (like good performance with default
> tcmalloc) Mark reported ? Is it using lot less thread overall than Simple ?

Originally async messenger mainly want to solve with high thread number problem which limited the ceph cluster size. High context switch and cpu usage caused by simple messenger under large cluster.

Recently we have memory problem discussed on ML and I also spend times to think about the root cause. Currently I would like to consider the simple messenger's memory usage is deviating from the design of tcmalloc. Tcmalloc is aimed to provide memory with local cache, and it also has memory control among all threads, if we have too much threads, it may let tcmalloc busy with memory lock contention.

Async messenger uses thread pool to serve connections, it make all blocking calls in simple messenger async.

> Also, it seems Async messenger has some inefficiencies in the io path
> and that’s why it is not performing as well as simple if the memory
> allocation stuff is optimally handled.

Yep, simple messenger use two threads(one for read, one for write) to serve one connection, async messenger at most have one thread to serve one connection and multi connection  will share the same thread.

Next, I would like to have several plans to improve performance:
1. add poll mode support, I hope it can help enhance high performance storage need 2. add load balance ability among worker threads 3. move more works out of messenger thread.

--
Best Regards,

Wheat