Re: CephFS file to rados object mapping

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Andras Pataki
<apataki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
> One more question about checksumming objects in rados.  Our cluster uses
> two copies per object, and I have some where the checkums mismatch between
> the two copies (that deep scrub warns about).  Does ceph store an
> authoritative checksum of what the block should look like?  I.e. Is there
> a way to tell which version of the block is correct?  I seem to recall
> some changelog entry that Hammer is adding checksum storage for blocks, or
> am I wrong?

There's no general authoritative checksumming yet. EC pools get
checksums, and replicated pools checksum the objects as part of deep
scrub. But maintaining a checksum when you do a partial overwrite
requires reading the whole object and updating the checksum, so we
don't do that.
NewStore is doing some stuff like this (but I'm not sure how much you
can count on) and there is "opportunistic checksumming" in the code
base, but that's really just a developer feature rather than something
users should be running.

So that means there's no automated way to guarantee the right copy of
an object when scrubbing. If you have 3+ copies I'd recommend checking
each of them and picking the one that's duplicated...
-Greg