Re: Write barriers, controler cache and disk cache.

The controller might do several different things, you should first test how it behaves
Does it flush data from cache to disk when instructed to?  Most controllers ignore flushes in writeback mode (that is why they are so fast), which is both bad and good - bad when the controller dies but good for performance. And when the controller ignores flushes then disabling barriers won't help you much (if at all).
Does it does it really work when you turn the power off suddenly? (turn off the power off during some heavy writes and remove one of the drives in an array before turning it back on to see if it's buggy or sane).

Battery relearning/testing should be left enabled. Or does it drain the battery completely? I don't think it does, that would be bad.

Another issue is whether disabling barriers keeps the request ordering (in kernel queue and in controller/disk), I believe some assumptions here might be wrong.

TL;DR: keep barriers enabled but test both - if there's a large discrepancy then something is fishy....

Jan