Ceph Storage Cluster on Amazon EC2 across different regions

Hello,

I am trying to deploy a Ceph Storage Cluster on Amazon EC2, in different regions.
This is my set-up: a monitor - mon.node0 in eu.west, and two OSDs - osd.node1 in eu.west and osd.node2 in us.east.

I am having issues due to the way Amazon sets up network interfaces: each host has a private IP (accessible from its region) and a public IP (accessible from other regions too); hosts only see their private IPs, while the public IP is handled via 1-1 network translation at a higher level.

Ceph config files only have one IP assigned to each node, so that leaves a problem: either I put private IPs, and nodes cannot access each other from different regions, or I put public IPs, and nodes cannot find themselves in the configuration. I also tried various combinations, starting nodes manually, but still get errors.

I set up a virtual network interface using the public IPs of the hosts. I manage to start mon.node0, but it only listens on that interface, while incoming traffic comes from the NAT. I can make connections possible by running Debian's redir locally (on 16789 for example) and redirecting traffic from 0.0.0.0 to the local interface, but this doesn't seem right.

Can I somehow make the monitor listen on all interfaces?

Best regards,
--
Raluca