Re: Basic object storage question

On 24-09-15 11:06, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 7:05 AM, Robert LeBlanc <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> If you use RADOS gateway, RBD or CephFS, then you don't need to worry
>> about striping. If you write your own application that uses librados,
>> then you have to worry about it. I understand that there is a
>> radosstriper library that should help with that. There is also a limit
>> to the size of an object that can be stored. I think I've seen the
>> number of 100GB thrown around.
>
> Just for the sake of archives, it's 90M by default.

Are you sure?

osd_max_write_size is set to 90 by default. That means that the OSD will
accept a single write of 90MB at max. However, you can create an object
and keep appending to the Object and have it grow to over 90MB.

e.g.:
- Call rados_write() and write 50MB
- Call rados_append() 100 times and append 50MB in each call

The total object size will be: 50 + (100 * 50) = 5050MB

Wido