Re: Basic object storage question

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Cory Hawkless <Cory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have basic question around how Ceph stores individual objects.
>
> Say I have a pool with a replica size of 3 and I upload a 1GB file to this
> pool. It appears as if this 1GB file gets placed into 3PG’s on 3 OSD’s ,
> simple enough?

Well, you've gone straight from asking about *objects* to talking
about uploading a *file*, so that doesn't make sense :-)

When you write a file in CephFS, it gets striped into many objects
(4MB by default) in RADOS.  Same with objects in RGW, and block
devices in RBD.  The stripes are 4MB by default, which results in good
data distribution for most workloads.  So the short answer is that
unless you're writing directly to RADOS (i.e with librados), you don't
need to worry.

John