OSD refuses to start after problem with adding monitors

Hi,

I started a new Ceph cluster with a single instance, and later added two new osd on different machines using ceph-deploy. The osd data directories reside on a separate disk than the conventional /var/local/ceph/osd-<num> directory.  Correspondingly, I changed the replication factor size to 3 though the min_size parameter stays at 1.

As a next step, I tried to expand the number of monitors. However, the effort of adding two new monitors using ceph-deploy failed. The ‘ceph status’ command only reveals the original monitor whereas the two new monitors are visible when retrieving monmap. To resolve the problem, I was looking around and found  the ‘ceph mon add’ command. The moment I tried this command, everything got stuck. ‘ceph status’ simply hungs. Ceph daemon can no longer be started --- it seems that the osd sub-command times out.

Any clue on where to look at for the problems or how to fix them?

Another small problem: Since the osd data directory is not provided in /etc/ceph/ceph.conf, I’m wondering how ceph knows  where to find it.

Thanks

Fangzhe