Re: how to improve ceph cluster capacity usage

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 3:58 PM, huang jun <hjwsm1989@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> osd.36  13     111    18     | 142
> osd.37  15     107    22     | 144
> osd.38  21     129    24     | 174
> osd.39  9      121    17     | 147
> osd.40  11     102    18     | 131
> osd.41  14     101    19     | 134
> osd.42  16     119    25     | 160
> osd.43  12     118    13     | 143
> osd.44  17     114    25     | 156
> osd.45  11     114    15     | 140
> osd.46  12     107    16     | 135
> osd.47  15     111    23     | 149
> osd.48  14     115    20     | 149
> osd.49  9      94     13     | 116
> osd.50  14     117    18     | 149
> osd.51  13     112    19     | 144
> osd.52  11     126    22     | 159
> osd.53  12     122    18     | 152
> osd.54  13     121    20     | 154
> osd.55  17     114    25     | 156
> osd.56  11     118    18     | 147
> osd.57  22     137    25     | 184
> osd.58  15     105    22     | 142
> osd.59  13     120    18     | 151
> osd.60  12     110    19     | 141
> osd.61  21     114    28     | 163
> osd.62  12     97     18     | 127
> osd.63  19     109    31     | 159
> osd.64  10     132    21     | 163
> osd.65  19     137    21     | 177
> osd.66  22     107    32     | 161
> osd.67  12     107    20     | 139
> osd.68  14     100    22     | 136
> osd.69  16     110    24     | 150
> osd.70  9      101    14     | 124
> osd.71  15     112    24     | 151

> SUM   : 1024   8192   1536   |
>
> We can found that, for poolid=1(data pool),
> osd.57 and osd.65 both have 137 PGs but osd.12 and osd.49 only have 94 PGs,
> which maybe cause data distribution imbanlance, and reduces the space
> utilization of the cluster.
>
> Use "crushtool -i crush.raw --test --show-mappings --rule 0 --num-rep
> 2 --min-x 1 --max-x %s"
> we tested different pool pg_num:
>
> Total PG num PG num stats
> ------------ -------------------
> 4096 avg: 113.777778 (avg stands for avg PG num of every osd)
> total: 8192  (total stands for total PG num, include replica PG)
> max: 139 +0.221680 (max stands for max PG num on OSD, +0.221680 stands
> for percent above avage PG num )
> min: 113 -0.226562 (min stands for min PG num on OSD, -0.226562 stands
> for ratio below avage PG num )
>
> 8192 avg: 227.555556
> total: 16384
> max: 267 0.173340
> min: 226 -0.129883
>
> 16384 avg: 455.111111
> total: 32768
> max: 502 0.103027
> min: 455 -0.127686
>
> 32768 avg: 910.222222
> total: 65536
> max: 966 0.061279
> min: 910 -0.076050
>
> With bigger pg_num, the gap between the maximum and the minimum decreased.
> But it's unreasonable to set such large pg_num, which will increase
> OSD and MON load.
>
> Is there any way to get a more balanced PG distribution of the cluster?
> We tried "ceph osd reweight-by-pg 110 data" many times, but that can

The numbers you're seeing here look broadly typical to me. We've
explored a few ideas but have not found anything very satisfactory for
providing more even distribution. So far it's just the cost of doing
business with a pseudorandom placement algorithm. (And it's common to
all storage systems using this mechanism, as far as I can tell.)

> Another problem is that if we can ensure the PG is distributed
> balanced, can we ensure the data
> distribution is balanced like PG?

We haven't found this to be an issue the same way PG distribution is.
Due to how objects are placed within PGs, your PGs will all tend to be
of size X or of size 2*X, and the numbers of both will be large. (You
can keep it to only size X by setting pgnum to be a power of 2, but I
don't think it's worth worrying about much.)
-Greg