Re: ESXi/LIO/RBD repeatable problem, hang when cloning VM

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Nicholas A. Bellinger
<nab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (RESENDING)
>
> On Wed, 2015-09-02 at 21:14 -0400, Alex Gorbachev wrote:
>> e have experienced a repeatable issue when performing the following:
>>
>> Ceph backend with no issues, we can repeat any time at will in lab and
>> production.  Cloning an ESXi VM to another VM on the same datastore on
>> which the original VM resides.  Practically instantly, the LIO machine
>> becomes unresponsive, Pacemaker fails over to another LIO machine and
>> that too becomes unresponsive.
>>
>> Both running Ubuntu 14.04, kernel 4.1 (4.1.0-040100-generic x86_64),
>> Ceph Hammer 0.94.2, and have been able to take quite a workoad with no
>> issues.
>>
>> output of /var/log/syslog below.  I also have a screen dump of a
>> frozen system - attached.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Alex
>>

> The bug-fix patch to address this NULL pointer dereference with >= v4.1
> sbc_check_prot() sanity checks + EXTENDED_COPY I/O emulation has been
> sent-out with your Reported-by.
>
> Please verify with your v4.1 environment that it resolves the original
> ESX VAAI CLONE regression with a proper Tested-by tag.
>
> For now, it has also been queued to target-pending.git/for-next with a
> stable CC'.
>
> Thanks for reporting!

Thank you for the patch.  I have compiled the kernel and tried the
cloning - it completed successfully this morning.  I will now try to
build a package and deploy it on the larger systems where the failures
occurred.  Once completed I will learn about the Tested-by tag (never
done it before) and submit the results.

Best regards,
Alex