Re: high density machines

On 03 Sep 2015, at 16:49, Paul Evans <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Echoing what Jan said, the 4U Fat Twin is the better choice of the two options, as it is very difficult to get long-term reliable and efficient operation of many OSDs when they are serviced by just one or two CPUs.
I don’t believe the FatTwin design has much of a backplane, primarily sharing power and cooling. That said: the cost savings would need to be solid to choose the FatTwin over 1U boxes, especially as (personally) I dislike lots of front-side cabling in the rack.

I never used SuperMicro blades, but with Dell blades there's a single "backplane" board to which the blades plug-in for power and IO distribution. We had it go bad in a way where the blades would work until removed, and wouldn't power on once plugged-in again. Restart of the chassis didn't help and we had to change the backplane.
I can't imagine SuperMicro would be much different, there are some components that just can't be changed while the chassis is in operation.

--
Paul Evans