From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Daniel Maraio
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 10:40 AM
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Moving/Sharding RGW Bucket Index

Hello,

   I have two large buckets in my RGW and I think the performance is being impacted by the bucket index. One bucket contains 9 million objects and the other one has 22 million. I'd like to shard the bucket index and also change the ruleset of the .rgw.buckets.index pool to put it on our SSD root. I could not find any documentation on this issue. It looks like the bucket indexes can be rebuilt using the radosgw-admin bucket check command but I'm not sure how to proceed. We can stop writes or take the cluster down completely if necessary. My initial thought was to backup the existing index pool and create a new one. I'm not sure if I can change the index_pool of an existing bucket. If that is possible I assume I can change that to my new pool and execute a radosgw-admin bucket check command to rebuild/shard the index.

   Does anyone have experience in getting sharding running with an existing bucket, or even moving the index pool to a different ruleset?
When I change the crush ruleset for the .rgw.buckets.index pool to my SSD root we run into issues, buckets cannot be created or listed, writes cease to work, reads seem to work fine though. Thanks for your time!

- Daniel