Re: How should I deal with placement group numbers when reducing number of OSDs

Unfortunately we are not in control of the VMs using this pool, so something like "sync -> stop VM -> incremental sync -> start VM on new pool" would be extremely complicated. I _think_ it's possible to misuse a cache tier to do this (add a cache tier, remove the underlying tier, add a new pool and remove cache tier), but that's a hack at best.

So before we go even considering this - will there be any significant gains from this? When we increased the PG numbers it had a very positive effect on the cluster, but with only 1/3 of the drives I am worried there will be too much contention on the OSDs. I've already seen a higher CPU usage and while some latency metrics went down thanks to the new Intel drives, other metrics went up of course, so I'm not sure how it will perform in the real life...

Jan