Re: Opensource plugin for pulling out cluster recovery and client IO metric

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:07:39 +0100
> From: gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: vickey.singh22693@xxxxxxxxx
> CC: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ceph-users@xxxxxxxx; ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re:  Opensource plugin for pulling out cluster recovery and client IO metric
>
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Vickey Singh
> <vickey.singh22693@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello Ceph Geeks
>>
>> I am planning to develop a python plugin that pulls out cluster recovery IO
>> and client IO operation metrics , that can be further used with collectd.
>>
>> For example , i need to take out these values
>>
>> recovery io 814 MB/s, 101 objects/s
>> client io 85475 kB/s rd, 1430 kB/s wr, 32 op/s
The calculation *window* for those stats are very small, IIRC, they are two PG version which most likely map to two seconds (average of the last two seconds), you may increase mon_stat_smooth_intervals to enlarge the window, but I didn't try it myself.

I found the 'ceph status -f json' has better formatted output and more information.

>> Could you please help me in understanding how ceph -s and ceph -w outputs
>> prints cluster recovery IO and client IO information.
>> Where this information is coming from. Is it coming from perf dump ? If yes
>> then which section of perf dump output is should focus on. If not then how
>> can i get this values.
>>
>> I tried ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-osd.48.asok perf dump , but
>> it generates hell lot of information and i am confused which section of
>> output should i use.
perf counters have a tone of information which needs time to understand the details, but if the purpose is just to dump as what they are and do better aggregation/reporting, you can check 'perf schema' first to get the type of the field, can cross check the perf_counter's definition for each type, to determine how you collection/aggregate those data.