Re: Why are RGW pools all prefixed with a period (.)?

On 08/26/2015 05:17 PM, Yehuda Sadeh-Weinraub wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It's something which has been 'bugging' me for some time now. Why are
>>> RGW pools prefixed with a period?
>>>
>>> I tried setting the root pool to 'rgw.root', but RGW (0.94.1) refuses to
>>> start:
>>>
>>> ERROR: region root pool name must start with a period
>>>
>>> I'm sending pool statistics to Graphite and when sending a key like this
>>> you 'break' Graphite: ceph.pools.stats.<pool_name>.kb_read
>>>
>>> A pool like .rgw.root will break this since Graphite splits on periods.
>>>
>>> So is there any reason why this is? What's the reasoning behind it?
>>
>> This might just be a leftover from when we were mapping buckets into
>> RADOS pools. Yehuda, is there some more current reason?
>
> No current reason. Moreover, I removed the need for that in the new
> multi-site work, so this requirement will be gone sooner or later
> (probably for Jewel). Note that users will still be able to prefix
> pools with a period, and some pools will stay like that for backward
> compatibility, so anything that breaks with these strings should be
> fixed.

Ah, understood. Nice to know.

I personally would like to see that all default pools from RGW are
prefixed with 'rgw.' so that it's easy to identify which pools belong to
RGW.

No existing setups should be touched, but only new ones or people who
change the mapping of their pools.

--
Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.