Re: OSD GHz vs. Cores Question

FWIW, we recently were looking at a couple of different options for the machines in our test lab that run the nightly QA suite jobs via teuthology.

From a cost/benefit perspective, I think it really comes down to something like a XEON E3-12XXv3 or the new XEON D-1540, each of which have advantages/disadvantages.

We were very tempted by the Xeon D but it was still just a little too new for us so we ended up going with servers using more standard E3 processors. The Xeon D setup was slightly cheaper, offers more theoretical performance, and is way lower power, but at a much slower per-core clock speed. It's likely that for our functional tests that clock speed may be more important than the cores (but on these machines we'll only have 4 OSDs per server).

Anyway, I suspect that either setup will probably work fairly well for spinners. SSDs get trickier.

Mark