Re: Ceph OSD nodes in XenServer VMs

Hello,

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 11:55:55 +1000 Jiri Kanicky wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are experimenting with an idea to run OSD nodes in XenServer VMs. We
> believe this could provide better flexibility, backups for the nodes etc.
>
> For example:
> Xenserver with 4 HDDs dedicated for Ceph.
> We would introduce 1 VM (OSD node) with raw/direct access to 4 HDDs or 2
> VMs (2 OSD nodes) with 2 HDDs each.
>
> Do you have any experience with this? Any thoughts on this? Good or bad
> idea?

My knee jerk reaction would be definitely in the "bad idea" category.
Even with "raw" access I'd venture that isn't as fast as actual bare-metal
and your network will be virtualized anyway.

What really puzzles/amuses me though is using the one VM platform that
doesn't support Ceph as the basis for providing Ceph. ^o^

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/