Re: btrfs w/ centos 7.1

Hi Ben,

 RedHat (which CentOS is based off) have included btrfs in RHEL7 as Technology Preview. This basically means that they are happy for you to use it at your own risk. I have spoken with an engineer there and they said they would basically try to support any related issues using it that they could, but there was no guarantees with their support.

 So seeing as RedHat is targeted at enterprise and they are not guaranteeing support on it, I would not use it in production unless:
  • You have a reliable backup strategy.
  • You know the Recovery point objective.
  • You know the Mean time to recovery.
  • Does the advantages of using btrfs out weigh the possibility for causing you down time and a lot of work down the track?

The current ceph production recommendation is xfs.

Regards,
Ross