pg_num docs conflict with Hammer PG count warning

We have 48 OSDs (on 12 boxes, 4T per OSD) and 4 pools:
- 3 replicated pools (3x)
- 1 RS pool (5+2, size 7)

The docs say:
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/placement-groups/
"Between 10 and 50 OSDs set pg_num to 4096"

Which is what we did when creating those pools. This yields 16384 PGs over 48 OSDs, which sounded reasonable at the time: 341 per OSD.

However, upon upgrade to Hammer, it started complaining:
     health HEALTH_WARN
            too many PGs per OSD (1365 > max 300)

It seems the actual math multiplies everything by the size of the pools (which in retrospect makes sense): (3*4096*3 + 1*4096*7) / 48 = 1365

And Hammer by default sets:
mon_pg_warn_max_per_osd = 300

For now I'm just going to bump up the setting to make the warning go away, but I'm concerned about the implications of this. Two of the 3x pools are not production and I can nuke and re-create them (with 512 PGs instead? Does that sound reasonable?), but the RS pool and the other rep pool are and there's no simple way for us to re-create them at this point (though that might be a good excuse to develop something that would enable that - which might be doable-ish for the RS pool at least, which is the biggest offender).

Questions:
- Does this mean that the docs are wrong and need fixing? It seems that blindly following the docs can easily yield per-OSD PG counts that are off by a factor of 5 from the max, without doing anything too weird (just 4 reasonably simple pools) - Should I be concerned about the performance impact? How was the value 300 arrived at? - We're going to be using this cluster for more things (services), which means creating more pools. Should I plan ahead for, say, a time when we have 12 pools on it, and divide everything by 12? The cluster is currently very overprovisioned for space, so we're probably not going to be adding OSDs for quite a while, but we'll be adding pools.

--
Hector Martin (hector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Public Key: https://marcan.st/marcan.asc