Re: CephFS vs Lustre performance

On 08/03/2015 06:31 AM, jupiter wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to deploy Cephfs in a cluster, but I need to have a performance
report compared with Lustre and Gluster. Could anyone point me documents
/ links for performance between CephFS, Gluster and Lustre?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- j

Hi,

I don't know that anything like this really exists yet to be honest. We wrote a paper with ORNL several years ago looking at Ceph performance on a DDN SFA10K and basically saw that we could hit about 6GB/s with CephFS while Lustre could do closer to 11GB/s. Primarily that was due to the journal on the write side (using local SSDs for journal would have improved things dramatically as the limitation was the IB connections between the SFA10K and the OSD nodes rather than the disks). On the read side we ended up running out of time to figure it out. We could do about 8GB/s with RADOS but CephFS was again limited to about 6GB/s. This was several years ago now so things may have changed.

In general you should expect that Lustre will probably be faster for large sequential writes (especially if you use Ceph replication vs RAID6 for Lustre) and may be faster for large sequential reads. For small IO I suspect that Ceph may do better, and for metadata I would expect the situation will be mixed with Ceph faster at some things but possibly slower at others since afaik we haven't done a lot of tuning of the MDS yet.

Mark