Weird behaviour of cephfs with samba

Hi all,

the faq at http://ceph.com/docs/cuttlefish/faq/ mentions the possibility to
run export a mounted cephfs via samba. This combination exhibits a very
weird behaviour, though.

We have a directory on cephfs with many small xml snippets. If I repeadtedly
ls the directory on Unix, I get the same answer each and every time:

root@gru:/mnt/regtest/regressiontestdata2/assets# while true; do ls|wc -l;
sleep 1; done
851
851
851
... and so on

If I do the same on the directory exported and mounted via SMB under Windows
the result looks like that (output generated unter cygwin, but effect is
present with Windows Explorer as well):

$ while true; do ls|wc -l; sleep 1; done
380
380
380
380
380
1451
362
851
851
851
851
851
851
851
851
1451
362
851
851
851

The problem does not seem to be related to Samba. If I copy the files to an
XFS volume and export that, things look fine.

Thanks
Joerg Henne