Re: Ceph with SSD and HDD mixed

Hi, Mario!

  Can you give more information about your cluster? Number of nodes,
OSDs per node, HDD models etc?

  In general, you can use SSD as OSD journals (
http://irq0.org/articles/ceph/journal ), but it will give you
performance boost on relatively small bursty workloads. If you'll just
mix HDD and SSD in one pool it gives you nothing cause clients get ack
when every single OSDs with involved PGs returned write ack only so in
overal it means the slowest OSD drive timings.

  May be you can use SSD pool as a cache tier (
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/cache-tiering/ ) but I've
never tried it and read a number of complaines about it. I think
somebody can comment it in a more informative way.

Best regards,
Vladimir