Re: Can a cephfs "volume" get errors and how are they fixed?

On 15/07/15 16:11, Roland Giesler wrote:

I mount cephfs in /etc/fstab and all seemed well for quite a few months.  Now however, I start seeing strange things like directories with corrupted files names in the file system.

When you encounter a serious issue, please tell us some details about it, like what version of ceph you are using, what client you are using (kernel, fuse, + version), whether you have any errors in your logs, etc.

I have a vague memory of a symptom like what you're describing happening with an older kernel client at some stage, but can't find a ticket about it right now.

My question is: How can the filesystem be checked for errors and fixed?  Or does it heal itself automatically.  The disks are all formatted with btrfs.

The underlying data storage benefits from the resilience built into RADOS, i.e. you don't have to worry about drive failures etc.

CephFS's fsck is in development right now.  We note this in a big red box at the top of the documentation[1].

By the way, if data integrity is important to you, you would be better off with a more conservative configuration (btrfs is not used by most people in production, XFS is the default).

Regards,
John

1. http://ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/