Re: External XFS Filesystem Journal on OSD

Converted a few of our OSD's (spinners) over to a config where the OSD journal and XFS journal both live on an NVMe drive (Intel P3700). The XFS journal might have provided some very minimal performance gains (3%, maybe). Given the low gains, we're going to reject this as something to dig into deeper and stick with the simpler configuration of just using the NVMe drives for OSD journaling and leave the XFS journals on the partition.

--David

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2015-06-04T12:42:42, David Burley <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are there any safety/consistency or other reasons we wouldn't want to try
> using an external XFS log device for our OSDs? I realize if that device
> fails the filesystem is pretty much lost, but beyond that?

I think with the XFS journal on the same SSD as ceph's OSD journal, that
could be a quite interesting setup. Please share performance numbers!

I've been meaning to benchmark bcache in front of the OSD backend,
especially for SMRs, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

David Burley
NOC Manager, Sr. Systems Programmer/Analyst
Slashdot Media

e: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx