Re: Real world benefit from SSD Journals for a more read than write cluster

Hi Christian,
Am 09.07.15 um 09:36 schrieb Christian Balzer:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 08:57:27 +0200 Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> time is passing, so is my budget :-/ and I have to recheck the options
>> for a "starter" cluster. An expansion next year for may be an openstack
>> installation or more performance if the demands rise is possible. The
>> "starter" could always be used as test or slow dark archive.
>>
>> At the beginning I was at 16SATA OSDs with 4 SSDs for journal per node,
>> but now I'm looking for 12 SATA OSDs without SSD journal. Less
>> performance, less capacity I know. But thats ok!
>>
> Leave the space to upgrade these nodes with SSDs in the future.
> If your cluster grows large enough (more than 20 nodes) even a single
> P3700 might do the trick and will need only a PCIe slot.

If I get you right, the 12Disk is not a bad idea, if there would be the
need of SSD Journal I can add the PCIe P3700.

In the 12 OSD Setup I should get 2 P3700 one per 6 OSDs.

God or bad idea?

>> There should be 6 may be with the 12 OSDs 8 Nodes with a repl. of 2.
>>
> Danger, Will Robinson.
> This is essentially a RAID5 and you're plain asking for a double disk
> failure to happen.

May be I do not understand that. size = 2 I think is more sort of raid1
... ? And why am I asking for for a double disk failure?

To less nodes, OSDs or because of the size = 2.

> See this recent thread:
> "calculating maximum number of disk and node failure that can be handled
> by cluster with out data loss"
> for some discussion and python script which you will need to modify for
> 2 disk replication.
>
> With a RAID5 failure calculator you're at 1 data loss event per 3.5
> years...

Thanks for that thread, but I dont get the point out of it for me.

I see that calculating the reliability is some sort of complex math ...

>> The workload I expect is more writes of may be some GB of Office files
>> per day and some TB of larger video Files from a few users per week.
>>
>> At the end of this year we calculate to have +- 60 to 80 TB of lager
>> videofiles in that cluster, which are accessed from time to time.
>>
>> Any suggestion on the drop of ssd journals?
>>
> You will miss them when the cluster does write, be it from clients or when
> re-balancing a lost OSD.

I can imagine, that I might miss the SSD Journal, but if I can add the
P3700 later I feel comfy with it for now. Budget and evaluation related.

	Thanks for your helpful input and feedback. /Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 82420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Thomas Schadt