Re: FW: Ceph data locality

On 07-07-15 14:42, Dmitry Meytin wrote:
> Hi Christian,
> Thanks for the thorough explanation.
> My case is Elastic Map Reduce on top of OpenStack with Ceph backend for everything (block, object, images).
> With default configuration, performance is 300% worse than bare metal.
> I did a few changes:
> 1) replication settings 2
> 2) read ahead size 2048Kb
> 3) Max sync intervals 10s
> 4) Large queue and large bytes
> 5) OSD OP threads 20
> 6) FileStore Flusher off
> 7) Sync Flush On
> 8) Object size 64 Mb
>
> And still the performance is poor when comparing to bare-metal.
> The profiling shows the huge network demand (I'm running terasort) during the map phase.
> I want to avoid shared-disk behavior of Ceph and I would like VM to read data from the local volume as much as applicable.
> Am I wrong with mu assumptions?

Nothing is free in this world. Keep that in mind.

You can't have a fully distributed system which replicates all data
synchronously over a network and not suffer a performance loss or impact.

Yes, Ceph has still ways where it should improve, but all the data has
to go over the network and written to all disks prior to being ack'ed.

Wido