Re: Node reboot -- OSDs not "logging off" from cluster

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Daniel Schneller
<daniel.schneller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We are seeing a strange - and problematic - behavior in our 0.94.1
> cluster on Ubuntu 14.04.1. We have 5 nodes, 4 OSDs each.
>
> When rebooting one of the nodes (e. g. for a kernel upgrade) the OSDs
> do not seem to shut down correctly. Clients hang and ceph osd tree show
> the OSDs of that node still up. Repeated runs of ceph osd tree show
> them going down after a while. For instance, here OSD.7 is still up,
> even though the machine is in the middle of the reboot cycle.
>
> [C|root@control01]  ~ ➜  ceph osd tree
> # id    weight  type name       up/down reweight
> -1      36.2    root default
> -2      7.24            host node01
> 0       1.81                    osd.0   up      1
> 5       1.81                    osd.5   up      1
> 10      1.81                    osd.10  up      1
> 15      1.81                    osd.15  up      1
> -3      7.24            host node02
> 1       1.81                    osd.1   up      1
> 6       1.81                    osd.6   up      1
> 11      1.81                    osd.11  up      1
> 16      1.81                    osd.16  up      1
> -4      7.24            host node03
> 2       1.81                    osd.2   down    1
> 7       1.81                    osd.7   up      1
> 12      1.81                    osd.12  down    1
> 17      1.81                    osd.17  down    1
> -5      7.24            host node04
> 3       1.81                    osd.3   up      1
> 8       1.81                    osd.8   up      1
> 13      1.81                    osd.13  up      1
> 18      1.81                    osd.18  up      1
> -6      7.24            host node05
> 4       1.81                    osd.4   up      1
> 9       1.81                    osd.9   up      1
> 14      1.81                    osd.14  up      1
> 19      1.81                    osd.19  up      1
>
> So it seems, the services are either not shut down correctly when the
> reboot begins, or they do not get enough time to actually let the
> cluster know they are going away.
>
> If I stop the OSDs on that node manually before the reboot, everything
> works as expected and clients don't notice any interruptions.
>
> [C|root@node03]  ~ ➜  service ceph-osd stop id=2
> ceph-osd stop/waiting
> [C|root@node03]  ~ ➜  service ceph-osd stop id=7
> ceph-osd stop/waiting
> [C|root@node03]  ~ ➜  service ceph-osd stop id=12
> ceph-osd stop/waiting
> [C|root@node03]  ~ ➜  service ceph-osd stop id=17
> ceph-osd stop/waiting
> [C|root@node03]  ~ ➜  reboot
>
> The upstart file was not changed from the packaged version.
> Interestingly, the same Ceph version on a different cluster does _not_
> show this behaviour.
>
> Any ideas as to what is causing this or how to diagnose this?

I'm not sure why it would be happening, but:
* The OSDs send out shutdown messages to the monitor indicating
they're going away whenever they get shut down politely. There's a
short timeout to make sure they don't hang on you.
* The only way the OSD doesn't get marked down during reboot is if the
monitor doesn't get this message.
* If the monitor isn't getting the message, the OSD either isn't
sending the message or it's getting blocked.

My guess is that for some reason the OSDs are getting the shutdown
signal after the networking goes away.
-Greg