Is Ceph the right tool for me?

Hello everybody,

I'm looking at Ceph as an alternative for my current storage solution, but
I'm wondering if it is the right choice for me. I'm hoping you guys can
help me decide.

The current setup is a FreeBSD 10.1 machine running entirely on ZFS. The
function of the machine is offsite backup for important data. For some
(fairly rapidly changing) data this server is the only backup of it. But
because the data is changing fairly quickly (every day at least) I'm
looking to get this server more HA then it is now.
It is just one FreeBSD machine, so this is an enormous SPOF off course.

The most used functionality of ZFS that I use is the snapshot technology.
I've got multiple users on this server and each user has it's own
filesystem within the pool. And I just snapshot each filesystem regularly
and that way I enable the users to go back in time.
I've looked at the snapshot functionality of Ceph, but it's not clear to
me what I can snapshot with it exactly.

Furthermore: what is the best way to hook Ceph to the application I use to
transfer the data from the users to the backup server? Today I'm using
OwnCloud, which is (in essence) a WebDAV server. Now I'm thinking about
replacing OwnCloud with something custom build. That way I can let PHP
talk directly with librados, which makes it easy to store the data.
Or I can keep on using OwnCloud and just hook up Ceph via CephFS. This has
the added advantage that I don't have to get my head around the concept of
object storage :p ;).

Kind regards,
Cybertinus