Re: Switching from tcmalloc

I use zone_reclaim_mode=7 all time on boot (I use qemu with NUMA memory locking on same nodes, so need to keep proportional RAM use). Now I trying to use migratepages for all ceph daemons (with tcmalloc -DTCMALLOC_SMALL_BUT_SLOW - to avoid OSDs memory abuse). There my script (migrate to node, keepeng maximum RAM:

#!/usr/bin/perl

sub getnodes{
        my @x;
        open(my $FF,'-|',"numastat $_[0]") or die $!;
        while(defined(my $s=<$FF>)){
                chomp($s);
                my @x=split(/\s+/,$s);
                if(shift(@x) eq $_[1]){
                        close($FF);
                        return @x;
                }
        }
        close($FF);
        undef;
}

for my $t (''){
#for my $t ('osd'){
        for(glob("/var/run/ceph/$t*.pid")){
                my @free=getnodes('-m','MemFree');
                pop @free;
                print "free=@free\n";
                die if(!@free);
                $p0=`cat $_`;
                chomp($p0);
                $p=`pgrep ceph-$t -F $_`;
                chomp($p);
                next if($p ne $p0);
                my @m=getnodes("-p $p",'Total');
                my $total=pop @m;
                print "mem[$p]=@m\n";
                die if(!@m or $#m != $#free);
                my ($max,$imax);
                for(0..$#m){
                        $m=$free[$_]-$total+$m[$_];
                        if($imax eq '' or $max<$m){
                                $max=$m;
                                $imax=$_;
                        }
                }
                next if($max<=0);
                for(0..$#m){
                        next if($_ eq $imax or $m[$_]==0);
                        print "migratepages $p $_ $imax\n";
                        system('migratepages',$p,$_,$imax);
                }
        }
}

Jan Schermer пишет:
In our case it was the co-scheduling with lots QEMUs that made it run bad. If you have a dedicated CEPH OSD server it would be beneficial only if the scheduler was moving the OSDs between different NUMA zones. (Which our ancient 2.6.32 EL6 kernel AFAIK does but newer kernels do not).

I’m not seeing our OSDs having a problem with IO speed, Dumpling is just so slow and CPU-bound it would probably run at the same speed even with spindles. It is hard to design a NUMA system where all the resources are local - you’d have to have dedicated separate bonds for all zones etc. - easier to just use smaller 1 socket machines in greater numbers. When you add QEMU to the mix it’s practically impossible to have everything local to all the zones in one box.
(CEPH needs HBAs and NICs, QEMU needs NICs but shouldn’t ideally share cores with CEPH… depends very much on the workload and scale - with greater scale it probably doesn’t make sense to have a hyperconverged solution, unless it’s easier to just throw more hardware at the problem and only scaling horizontaly).

migratepages is a one-shot operation - memory placement after that will depends on the kernel you are running and scheduler and other settings. Having zone_reclaim_mode=1 should prevent memory from “leaking” to the other node, but could prevent effective filesystem caching depending on how much free memory you have. Surprisingly, I had ~150GB free (about 50% in each of two NUMA zones) that wasn’t used for cache without turning it off, not yet sure why.

Scripts will be coming tomorrow, I’d love to see if it makes a change for someone else, maybe I’m just un-breaking something in my setup.

Jan