Re: Old vs New pool on same OSDs - Performance Difference

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I've finally had time to schedule some quiet time on the cluster and perform some more testing.

Just to recap, the problem is not related to pools, but it appears to be with RBD's which haven't been accessed in a while. Re-writing over blocks of an old RBD seems to restore performance to what you would expect. If the objects are in page cache then performance also seems ok, however disks are practically idle during the test suggesting the bottleneck is somewhere between the filesystem and the OSD.

I have cleared the performance counters and then run a fio test against an old RBD, the fio test exhibits slow performance of around 12 iops. The fio run is for random read 64kb iops.

I then dump the historic operations and there are several like the below, where the duration seems to match up with the latency in fio:-

"description": "osd_op(client.2626544.0:316 rb.0.1ba70.238e1f29.0000000098e8 [] 0.e55cb2d7 ack+read+known_if_redirected e20117)",
            "initiated_at": "2015-06-20 15:39:05.596187",
            "age": 289.245112,
            "duration": 0.083428,
            "type_data": [
                "started",
                {
                    "client": "client.2626544",
                    "tid": 316
                },
                [
                    {
                        "time": "2015-06-20 15:39:05.596187",
                        "event": "initiated"
                    },
                    {
                        "time": "2015-06-20 15:39:05.596431",
                        "event": "reached_pg"
                    },
                    {
                        "time": "2015-06-20 15:39:05.679303",
                        "event": "started"
                    },
                    {
                        "time": "2015-06-20 15:39:05.679615",
                        "event": "done"
                    }
                ]
            ]

The main delay seems to happen between reached_pg and started, any idea what would be happening in this period?

Nick