Re: cephfs unmounts itself from time to time

On 19 June 2015 at 13:46, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Roland Giesler <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 15 June 2015 at 13:09, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 4:03 AM, Roland Giesler <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > I have a small cluster of 4 machines and quite a few drives.  After
>> > about 2
​-3 weeks cephfs fails.  It's not properly mounted anymore
>> > in
​ ​
/mnt/cephfs, which of course causes the VM's running to fail too.

​<snip>​

> I'm under the impression that CephFS is the filesystem implimented by
> ceph-fuse. Is it not?

Of course it is, but it's a different implementation than the kernel
client and often has different bugs. ;) Plus you can get a newer
version of it easily.

​Let me look into it and see how it might help me.​

>> Other than that, can you include more
>> information about exactly what you mean when saying CephFS unmounts
>> itself?
>

> Everything runs fine for weeks.  Then suddenly a user reports that a VM is
> not functioning anymore.  On investigation is transpires than CephFS is not
> mounted anymore and the error I reported is logged.
>
> I can't see anything else wrong at this stage.  ceph is running, the osd are
> all up.

Maybe one of our kernel devs has a better idea but I've no clue how to
debug this if you can't give me any information about how CephFS came
to be unmounted. It just doesn't make any sense to me. :(

​I'll go through the logs again and find the point where it happens and post it.

- Roland​