Re: calculating maximum number of disk and node failure that can be handled by cluster with out data loss

Hello,

As always, this has been discussed in the past, with people taking various
bits of "truth" from it and a precise model for failure, the latest one is
here: https://wiki.ceph.com/Development/Reliability_model/Final_report

And there is this, last time it came up I felt it didn't take all things
into account (especially realistic times to full recovery):
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-tools/tree/master/models/reliability

The more disks you will have, the more likely a triple failure becomes.
OTOH as Dan pointed out, the chance of them sharing PGs goes down.

In the OPs example of 4 nodes with 4 disks each, having 3 disks fails on 3
different nodes at the same time will certainly loose data.
In a cluster of 100 nodes with 12 disks each that certainty becomes a
probability. How much of one, I'll leave to people who feel comfortable
with those levels of math.

Note that I consider a node failure something that might stop my Ceph
cluster from working (if it were to drop below min_size), but doesn't
result in data loss.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/