Re: Old vs New pool on same OSDs - Performance Difference

Thanks for the replies guys.

I had previously completely written to both test RBD's until full. Strangely, I have just written to them both again and then dropped caches on all OSD nodes. Now both seem to perform the same but at the speed of the faster pool.

I have then pointed fio at another existing RBD on the old pool and the results are awful, averaging under 10 iops for 64k random read QD=1. Unfortunately this RBD has live data on it, so can't overwrite it.

But something seems up with RBD's (or the underlying objects) that have had data written to them a while back. If I make sure the data is in the pagecache, then I get really great performance, so it must be something to do with reading data off the disk, but I'm lost as to what it might be.

Iostat doesn't really show anything interesting, but I'm guessing a single thread read over 40 disks wouldn't anyway. Are there any counters I could look at that might help to break down the steps the OSD goes through to do the read to determine where the slow down comes from?