PG size distribution

Hello,

I have some questions about the size of my placement groups and how I can get a more even distribution. We currently have 160 2TB OSDs across 20 chassis. We have 133TB used in our radosgw pool with a replica size of 2. We want to move to 3 replicas but are concerned we may fill up some of our OSDs. Some OSDs have ~1.1TB free while others only have ~600GB free. The radosgw pool has 4096 pgs, looking at the documentation I probably want to increase this up to 8192, but we have decided to hold off on that for now.

So, now for the pg usage. I dumped out the PG stats and noticed that there are two groups of PG sizes in my cluster. There are about 1024 PGs that are each around 17-18GB in size. The rest of the PGs are all around 34-36GB in size. Any idea why there are two distinct groups? We only have the one pool with data in it, though there are several different buckets in the radosgw pool. The data in the pool ranges from small images to 4-6mb audio files. Will increasing the number of PGs on this pool provide a more even distribution?

Another thing to note is that the initial cluster was built lopsided, with some 4TB OSDs and some 2TB, we have removed all the 4TB disks and are only using 2TBs across the entire cluster. Not sure if this would have had any impact.

Thank you for your time and I would appreciate any insight the community can offer.

- Daniel