Re: Best setup for SSD

On 06/02/2015 09:02 AM, Phil Schwarz wrote:
Le 02/06/2015 15:33, Eneko Lacunza a écrit :
Hi,

On 02/06/15 15:26, Phil Schwarz wrote:
On 02/06/15 14:51, Phil Schwarz wrote:
i'm gonna have to setup a 4-nodes Ceph(Proxmox+Ceph in fact) cluster.

-1 node is a little HP Microserver N54L with 1X opteron + 2SSD+ 3X 4TB
SATA
It'll be used as OSD+Mon server only.
Are these SSDs Intel S3700 too? What amount of RAM?
Yes, All DCS3700, for the four nodes.
16GB of RAM on this node.
This should be enough for 3 OSDs I think, I used to have a Dell
T20/Intel G3230 with 2x1TB OSDs with only 4 GB running OK.

Cheers
Eneko

Yes, indeed.
My main problem is doing something non adviced...
Running VMs on Ceph nodes...
No choice, but it seems that i'll have to do that.
Hope  i won't peg the CPU too quickly..

You might want to consider using cgroups or some other mechanism to segment what runs on what cores. While not ideal, dedicating 2-3 of the cores to ceph and leaving the other(s) for VMs might be a reasonable way to go.

A single DC S3700 should suffice for journals for 4 OSDs. I wouldn't recommend using the other one for a cache tier unless you have a very highly skewed hot/cold workload. Perhaps instead make a dedicated SSD pool that could be used for high IOPS workloads. In fact you might consider skipping SSD journals and just making a dedicated SSD pool with all of the SSDs depending on how much write workload your main pool sees and if you could make good use of a dedicated SSD pool.

Things to think about!

Best regards