From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jan Schermer
Sent: 26. toukokuuta 2015 19:18
To: Robert LeBlanc
Cc: ceph-users
Subject: Re: Performance and CPU load on HP servers running ceph (DL380 G6, should apply to others too)

It should be noted that not all power saving is bad - you can save a lot of power by enabling some sleep states, throttling down, idling, or enabling low voltage mode on memory, with zero performance impact. In the end you can end up with more performance because of higher Turbo Boost TDP reserve and less thermal throttling (which you should never see in a well cooled datacentre, but it pops up from time to time as an issue).
Enabling stuff like ?Performance mode? in BIOS usually just says ?act predictably?, which doesn?t imply it?s performing optimally at all. This is where you?ll find the most difference between vendors and how they tune their default settings. Lots of corporates don?t care and just switch to ?Performance? everywhere and trust the vendor to do the right thing, which is seldom the case when you?re on the budget :)

Jan